Monday, May 29, 2017

The Passenger's Photo Album - Japan






Pied Beauty

Glory be to God for dappled things
For skies of couple-color as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings,
Landscape plotted and pieced -- fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (Who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

                                                         ~ Gerard Manley Hopkins ~

3 comments:

  1. This poem is such a lovely accompaniment to the photos. Glory be to God, indeed!

    For brindled dachshunds too! I saw a baby one on FB this morning that melted my heart and thought of him again reading this.

    "Such beauty and I here to see it!"
    --David Grayson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my favorite authors are getting messed up in my memory. Because I think that quote might be from Enchanted April. But I can't guarantee that either. All I know is that it does express the wonder of the poem and photograph. 😀

      Delete
  2. those photos are fabulous!! and the poem a perfect fit. what a poem and what a poet!thank-you for this 'pleasure-treasure' tonight:)

    ReplyDelete