Sunday, August 11, 2013

Street Shopping in Africa


 

     I had just finished changing the sheets on the bed and was washing up before going downstairs to start breakfast when the telephone rang. It was my husband. He had finished with his business for the day and was doing some shopping in Tanzania. He wanted help picking out some things for the grandkids, so I pulled out my computer and we Skyped our way through the market stalls of Arusha.


     I met a woman named Lillian who sold us a couple of scarves, headbands and a zebra carving, and let my husband take her picture. Asante sana, Lillian.


     You can read her philosophy of life on the sign above her stall.

Money
Can buy bed, but not sleep
Books but not brain
Cosmetics but not beauty
Food but not appetite
Religion but not salvation
Luxuries but not culture
A passport to anywhere but not heaven


     Then we bought a painting from some young men who had spread their wares on hedges beside the road.


     My plan for that morning was to do some weeding and watering in my garden. Instead, I went virtual shopping in Africa. Maybe the next adventure will be hiking on Kilimanjaro. It is a brave new world we live in.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love the story of your virtual tour. It is amazing what we can do today.

    How wise the woman was!

    ReplyDelete