Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Blah Blah Blogging - Russian Bots



     From time to time, I check the statistics for the number of pageviews I have received on my blog. I want to know if there is anybody out there in the blogoshpere listening to me, or if I am sitting alone at my kitchen table talking to myself. Either way, it doesn’t change how often I post or what I write about. But it is fascinating for me to see that anybody in the whole wide world with a computer can drop by my place for a visit.

     I realize, of course, that many of the numbers I see in my stats represent robots; so when I checked my statistics recently and saw a huge spike in pageviews coming from Russia, I knew that the robots were swarming. What I don’t know is why. Are they monitoring my shopping preferences? Is there a conspiracy to find a chink in my armor and hack my computer or infiltrate those who visit me? With all of the international travel that he does, do they suppose that my husband works for the CIA? There is a normal amount of paranoia that follows these thoughts, and I am wondering if just using the initials CIA (twice) in my post will attract even more traffic from the bots.

     With the online presence of virulent viruses lurking nearby waiting to sneeze on me, invisible spiders crawling across my posts, cyber thieves crouching at my backdoor, and phishermen trolling for data, one feels vulnerable.


     At times such as this I create my own unreality. I blame it on having grown up in the cold war era and watching too many Dr. Who episodes with salt-and-pepper-shaker shaped robots gurgling: Ex-ter-min-ate! So it is that, each day, as the attack of the Russian cyberbot hordes on my statistic pages subsides and the number of American pageviews increases, I feel more at ease.

     Surely, none of the American bots could wish to harm a little gray-haired old lady such as myself….right?


7 comments:

  1. ...or a little ole rural house-wife. Those Russion-bots were here too! It makes me contemplate deleting the blog 'cause I don't know what they're about!
    You nailed the imagery with this:
    With the online presence of virulent viruses lurking nearby waiting to sneeze on me, invisible spiders crawling across my posts, cyber thieves crouching at my backdoor, and phishermen trolling for data, one feels vulnerable.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention the blackguards who may be attempting to pirate my bandwidth...oh brave new world that hath such creatures in it!

      Delete
  2. I got the Russian spike too over 2000 page views - I hardly ever check my stats - I wonder what is going on - a bit scary really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'll have to take a look at my stats...haven't done it for years...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! 500 the other day for me, enough to send me to see where and you got it, Russia. Same thoughts ran through my mind, minus husband in the CIA. What does it mean? Honestly, it was almost enough to make me close everything down.

    By the way, Nib's End, I took your advice and growl at my gas range as I approach it. Seems to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promise I'm not a robot...another grey haired granny - from England this time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...me too. Grey haired biddy from England...Sue.

    ReplyDelete