Friday, February 3, 2017

Smitten With Smeg



     I have a curious relationship with some of my small electrical appliances. I am as thankful for my food processor, blender and mixer as I am for my dentist or the teller who handles my house payment at the bank. They each provide a service that makes life easier, but one does tend to take them for granted.

     Not so the toaster and tea kettle. Those two appliances are like family. My fondness for tea and toast is so ardent that I have written poetry about them. There is no poetry forthcoming for their progenitors, but they are surely deserving of a blog post.




     When my friendly little red toaster stopped working properly a few years ago, my husband talked me into buying a brushed stainless usurper that glares at me from the kitchen counter like a one-eyed cyborg. It is a little disconcerting to wake up to a cyborg each morning, so when I decided to buy an electric tea kettle instead of heating water on the stove in my cheerful green Le Creuset, it was necessary to find a friendly one.

     I found Smeg.

     Six weeks later, it feels as if Smeg and I have known each other for years. Best of all, I think one of my tea cozies is smitten.



5 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post ! ( and the tea cozy ) I am learning so much more about you through your blog posts. Who knew you had such an attachment to your kitchen staff and pumpkins ? I am enjoying these revelations, thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchen staff...I like that. I think the toaster believes he is the butler.

      Delete
  2. BTW, where did you get that quirky-lovely tea cozy ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A birthday gift from my husband. I found it at Jannio on Etsy. She lives in France and her unique cozies are made of felted wool. Her prices are higher now, but she has a sheep cozy I think you would like...or you could make one yourself from your own wool.

      Delete
  3. What a FABULOUS tea cozy! My elec water kettle is a favorite as is my convection oven. The microwave is used to warm cream for coffee and tea...not much else.

    ReplyDelete